Theme: Evolving HR
The third edition of IIM Trichy’s annual HR Conclave was held on 17th October, 2015 at The Westin, Chennai, with the theme “Evolving HR”. The event was inaugurated by the Chief Guest, Mr. Deodutta Kurane, Group President & Head - Human Capital Management, YES Bank, and Dr. Prafulla Agnihotri, Director, IIM Tiruchirappalli. Mr. Kurane spoke about the People-Work framework which addresses the evolving role of HR. He also talked about the Uberification of HR to address the challenges of the Virtual Office, creating packages catering to employee specific needs; convergence of leisure, work and fitness at work and rebranding of an HR Manager as a Human Capital Business Manager.
The first panel discussion was centered on the topic -‘Aligning HR strategy in the wake of Make in India campaign’ by our esteemed speakers,
- Ms. Elaine Kueper, Global Director, Tripura Foundation
- Mr. Raghuram J, Associate VP – HR, Vodafone
- Mr. G. Raj Narayan, Founder & MD, Radel Group and Chief mentor of DRONA
- Mr. Shyam C Raman, Executive VP – Group HR, Murugappa Group
- Ms. Sumathi Sampath, Head, Talent Acquisition, Infosys BPO
It was followed byasecond panel discussion on the topic - ‘Dynamic employee engagement and Employee Gamification’ by the following panelists,
- Ms. Aarthi Sivaramakrishnan, Head HR, Beroe Inc.
- Ms. Padma Kiran Rao, Director – HR, Societe Generale Global Solution Centre
- Mr. Prashant John, Founder & Director, ‘kwench
- Mr. Sujesh M T, Head – HR, DFS India Pvt. Ltd.
HR Conclave 2015 also featured a first-hand experience on gamification,through a simulation game ‘ChangeQuest’ powered by KNOLSKAPE. The participants were faced with a role-play situation, where they had to convince the upper management of introducing change in a certain process of the organization.
Mr. Ashok G, Senior VP - HR, SPAR, Landmark Group, delivered the valedictory speech, gave insights about the world of HR in the retail industry and signaled the end of the event.
This HR Conclave brought together eminent senior professionals from the industry and academic scholars, who shared their experiences on the rapidly changing nature of Human Resources domain. The event saw active participation from senior executives of Ford Motors, Rane Group, CTS, TVS group, Hyundai Motors, Kevin, Oracle, Hospira Healthcare, Scope International, TCS, Wabco, Philips, and many others. Various faculty, researchers and students from DoMS IIT Madras, St Peter’s University, PSG Institute of Management and other colleges also attended the event creating a rich blend of participants with varied experience.
Theme: Proactive HR
Building upon the success of IIM Trichy’s inaugural HR Conclave in 2013, the 2ndedition of this premier event was held on Sept 18th, 2014 at the Hilton Chennai. “Proactive HR” was the theme of the year, underscoring the evolution of HR in contemporary organizations. The success of organizations today increasingly depends on people, embodied with the right skills, knowledge and abilities. The increasing complexity and demanding goals for managers and the growing focus on legislations in recruitment, and employee relations has ushered in a new generation of Human Resource Managers, who today play increasingly strategic roles in contributing to the success of organizations.
Following the tradition established by last year’s conclave, the dialogue was once again facilitated through 3 panel discussions:
- Is Organisational Citizenship Behaviour a Myth?
- Does Organisational Commitment translate into Personal Growth?
- Diversity: A Competitive Advantage
The event saw active participation both from industry and academia. Senior executives from HPCL, ING Vysya, ITC, Cognizant, Dalmia Bharat Cements, Ducen and NHRD graced the occasion. Various faculty, researchers and students from DoMS IIT Madras, St Peters University, and other collegesattended the event creating a rich blend of participants with varied experience. The discussions provided tremendous insights from HR veterans who shared their vast experience with the audience.
The esteemed list of speakers and panellists included some of the highly respected and seasoned personnel from the HR community:
- Mr. Awdhesh Krishna(Managing Director - Global Head of HR, Wholesale Corporate at Nomura)
- Ms. Aparna Sharma (Country Head, HR – LafargeIndia)
- Mr. Prince Edison(Vice President, HR - BhartiAirtel Ltd)
- Mr. Sunil Kumar(Centre Head, WorldBank)
- Dr. Vishal Shah (Vice President – Corporate HRD, Wipro Limited)
- Mr. Yogesh Mariwalla(Executive Director – Index Advisory Pvt. Ltd.)
- Ms. Sindhuja Shankar(Head-HR – World Bank Group)
- Mr. Surya Prakash Mohapatra(India Head-Knowledge & Capability – HP GBS, Hewlett Packard)
- Dr. Deepak Malhotra(Vice President-HR – IL&FS Environmental Infrastructure & Services Ltd)
- Ms. Rituparna Chakraborty(Senior Vice President& Co-Founder – Team Lease Services Pvt. Ltd.)
- Ms. Srimathi Shivashankar(Associate Vice President – Diversity & Sustainability, HCL Technologies)
Theme: Contemporary Challenges and Opportunities in HRM
The first edition of HR Conclave (2013) was based on the premise that the overall HR scenario in India and at the global level is undergoing a sea change. HR is no more a staff-function, rather it has acquired a strategic role. Subsequently many HR managers, unlike in the past, are becoming strategic business partners. They possess significant leadership qualities and are capable of managing organizational change. They are actively involved in redefining culture of the organisation where organizational development has become an important part of their KRA (Key Result Area). At the same time, they are facing increasing challenges in their search of high HR performance to retain talents and build engagement in the workplace.
The primary theme for this conclave was "Contemporary Challenges and Opportunities in HRM" which was discussed through a series of following three panel discussions:
- Leadership and Change
- Talent Retention
- Redefining Culture for Employee Engagement
A respectable audience pool of HR managers, academicians and management students attended this conclave. The take away for the participant was a renewed understanding in handling major HR issues, based on the seasoned and erudite inputs from top HR management, carefully picked up from the best in industry to represent challenges in different sectors.
We had the presence of esteemed panellists and speakers from the Indian industry
- Mr. Awdesh Krishna (Managing Director - Global Head of HR, Wholesale Corporate at Nomura)
- C. Mahalingam (Mali) (Executive Coach & HR Advisor to Corporates)
- Mr. Dharmarajan (Vice-President & Head-HR of L&T Construction, Buildings & Factories Independent Company)
- Mr. K. Ganesan (Vice President HR at Tata Consultancy Services)
- Mr. Krishna Bhagavan (Country Head HR at Motorola Solutions)
- Mr. Muthu Kumar Thanu (Group CHRO at TAFE)
- Mr. Prince Augustin (EVP - Group Human Capital & Leadership Development at Mahindra & Mahindra)
- Mr. Rajesh Padmanabhan (Corporate Vice President & Chief Human Resources Officer at Capgemini)
- Mr. Samir Agarwal (Principal at the Boston Consulting Group)
- Mr. Sasi Sunkara (Partner at McKinsey & Co.)
- Mr. S.Valliyappan (Heads Menmai Management HR Consultancy)